Thursday, August 09, 2007

Welcome to the world, baby!

Not that anyone is reading this blog anyway, but I've got a pretty good excuse for the gap in posts: my wife gave birth to our daughter over the weekend! With four big brothers, this baby girl will be well (probably over-) protected. We've been pretty excited for the arrival of a girl into our House of Testosterone--none more so than her mom. She had pretty much come to terms with the fact that we would never have dolls or Easy-Bake Ovens (do they still make those?) in our home. Still, when she figured out she was pregnant this time there was just the tiniest spark of hope in her eyes.

A few months ago when we went in for an ultrasound and the doctor said he was 90% sure it was a girl, we were both stunned. My wife overcame the shock quickly and spent the next couple of months buying every pink baby item she could find. Seriously, our house looks a bit like the epicenter of a Pepto Bismal-bomb strike. I continued to be skeptical until a few days ago when I got to hold a living, breathing baby girl that moments before had struggled her way out of the womb. It was amazing.

So that is my excuse. I really do plan on writing some reviews of books I've read recently. I'm afraid I don't have the benefit of ARCs or review copies of forthcoming publications, so I'll just be reviewing the books I'm reading. Some will be new (or fairly new) releases and others will be backlist titles. For instance, I'm currently reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delaney. I'm about 180 pages in so far. It is definitely interesting, but I don't think I've gotten far enough to make up my mind about its classic status.

I'm really going to try and do more regular posts--at least three times a week. Thats my goal anyway. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: